Retiring In Mexico: INAPAM Card For Expats

Are you considering buying a home and retiring in Mexico?

retiring in mexico inapam card for expats

We can give you yet another reason while living in the Riviera Maya is fabulous! Apart from the warm Caribbean breezes, stunning beaches, and general happy vibe. If you are over 60 and living here as a foreigner with either a permanent visa or an FM3, you can enroll in one of the most popular programs, the INAPAM (Instituto Nacional para las Personas Adultas Mayores). Once enrolled, you receive a plastic discount card.

inapamHere are a list of just some of the discounts you will receive.

Healthcare: Many pharmacies give discounts on medications already extremely less expensive than the United States. Also, check with your local doctor or dentist as they may participate as well.

Public Transportation: Bus companies offer up to 50% off, ferries and even some airlines. Interjet and Aeromexico are just a few that offer 15% to 20% discounts on tickets.

Leisure: Many theme parks offer discounts.

Eating Out: Many cafes and diners, including the national chains Vips and Toks, offer discounts to INAPAM card holders

Culture: Museums, archaeology parks, and art galleries, offer discounts, Archeological parks for all people with visas offer Sunday visits for free.

Discount on Property Taxes and Water Bills:  Most importantly to many people Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras, and Tulum all are municipalities that offer seniors a discount on their annual property taxes (Predial). Check with your local city for water discounts.

The card is available to all seniors who are 60 years or older. It’s simple and free to apply for the card.

You will need to present some official identification, like a passport or driver’s license, your birth certificate and, as a foreigner, you will also need to present your old FM3/FM2 or your new Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente permit.  You will also be asked for a utility bill or some other document that shows your current address in Mexico.


Retiring in Mexico has a lot of benefits.

You take these documents (as well as 2 photocopies of each) along with three passport-sized photographs of yourself to your local government office dealing with INAPAM applications (check locally where you live) and, when the application is completed, you will be presented with a card that you can use to obtain the discounts.  The government also staffs a helpline that is open from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. weekdays, to answer questions you may have, and the call is free from inside Mexico: 01 800 007 3705.

2 Comments on “Retiring In Mexico: INAPAM Card For Expats

  1. Hello. My husband and I are retiring to Mexico this spring. We will be living in Ajijic, Jalisco. Does this card work there as well?

    Thank you.

    Cindi Williams

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *